03/01 Adaptation to Screenplay with Carlos de Los Rios
Learn the skills needed to identify elements of an original source material (book, memoir, graphic novel etc) and which are most important to focus on.
You will learn:
* how to identify good source material for an adaptation to screenplay
* how to get a hold of the rights of that material for next to nothing
* how to stay true to the original material but bring it into the format needed by Hollywood
* how to get producers interested in your script based on the original source material
* how to create/self-publish the original source material so you can do an adaptation of your own work
* how to make that original material fit into the genre needs of the Hollywood distribution networks
* how to write good, solid movie dialogue
* how to know what to keep and what to leave behind from the original material
Carlos de los Rios is a working screenwriter and producer who has written acclaimed films for Academy Award winners Lauren Bacall, Harvey Fierstein, Elliot Gould and others. Carlos has worked on over 30 films and has written and/or produced 7 films. Carlos lectures throughout California and is a sought after script doctor, writing coach and story consultant.
PLEASE NOTE: To help our instructors and other course participants, register early to ensure the course does not get cancelled or shifted to another date and time. We evaluate registration numbers between 7 and 3 days before a course start to decide about whether to keep or reschedule it. By registering 7 days or more in advance, you help us help our participants and instructors in many ways.