03/07 Screenwriting I with Carlos de los Rios
• preparing to write a screenplay
• getting ready to “beat-sheet” your story
• thinking like a working screenwriter
• exploring genre options and restrictions
• telling a story that really matters to you and to others
• identifying screenplay structures that will get past modern Hollywood readers
• exploring the state of the screenplay market
Each week there will be a lesson on core concepts and story planning. Students will take that lesson home and apply it to a chosen script concept they are working on in the course. The following week they will “pitch” their latest version of their concept to the group for feedback.
Carlos de los Rios is a working screenwriter and producer who has written acclaimed films for Academy Award winners Lauren Bacall, Harvey Fierstein, Elliot Gould and others. Carlos has worked on over 30 films and has written and/or produced 7 films. Carlos lectures throughout California and is a sought after script doctor, writing coach and story consultant.
PLEASE NOTE: To help our instructors and other course participants, register early to ensure the course does not get cancelled or shifted to another date and time. We evaluate registration numbers between 7 and 3 days before a course start to decide about whether to keep or reschedule it. By registering 7 days or more in advance, you help us help our participants and instructors in many ways.