07/12 Writing Sci-Fi, Fantasy and Comic Books with Carlos de los Rios
This course is aimed at getting writers trained in the specifics of writing screenplays, manuscripts and graphic novel scripts for the current market. Attendees will learn about:
1) story structure with a fast pace
2) characters that are easy to build stories around
3) fantasy settings that can give the story a boost
4) opening material that grabs readers and makes them turn pages
5) the villains we love to hate
6) the hero of myth and universality (aka, the hero all readers love to follow)
7) story twists and turns that shock us but still make “story-sense”
8) super-powers, monsters, magic and futuristic technologies – how to establish a set of rules for these attention-getting elements
9) how to plan to start writing so you actually get “usable pages” out
Carlos de los Rios is a working screenwriter and producer who has written acclaimed films for Academy Award winners Lauren Bacall, Harvey Fierstein, Elliot Gould and others. Carlos has worked on over 30 films and has written and/or produced 7 films including several sci-fi and monster movies. Carlos lectures throughout California and is a sought after script doctor, writing coach and story consultant.
PLEASE NOTE: To help our instructors and other course participants, register early to ensure the course does not get cancelled or shifted to another date and time. We evaluate registration numbers between 7 and 3 days before a course start to decide about whether to keep or reschedule it. By registering 7 days or more in advance, you help us help our participants and instructors in many ways.