Certificate in Memoir Writing
Are you ready to take your memoir to the next level? Please consider our flagship Certificate Program in Memoir Writing with Marni Freedman.
Starting in February 2016, we are now offering a Memoir Writing Certificate to our members. You will earn this certificate by enrolling in and attending Marni’s five Memoir classes, attending Room to Write Sessions, and, for the Advanced Certificate, having your memoir edited by Marni, who is also a professional editor.
San Diego Writers, Ink members may earn a Basic Certificate in Memoir Writing by taking the following workshops. Ideally these workshops would be taken in order, though it is not necessary they be taken successively. All workshops are only offered once a year, and must be completed within a three year period in order to earn the certificate:
- Memoir I: Intro to Memoir Writing. The BluePrint – The Memoir Map
- Memoir II: Plot. Structure for Memoir and Character Arc
- Memoir III: Character, Dialogue and the Scene
- Memoir IV: Voice, Transitions, Symbolism
- Memoir V: Revising, Editing, Publishing
- Query Writing: 2 dates offered –TBD (registration cost is separate from package deal)
Additionally, participants in the Basic Certificate Program must complete at least five hours of writing time at The Ink Spot during “Room to Write” Sessions. (These sessions will be at no cost to those working on their certificates.)
$725 (20% discount!) if you buy all five Memoir Writing classes at once (query writing and the one-on-one are separate). This discount is only good for members.
An Advanced Certificate may be earned by:
1) Completing the above coursework
2) Participating in ten hours of writing time at SDWI at the Room to Write
3) Receiving an editorial review with Marni Freedman, followed by a one hour one-on-one consultation. (The fee for this service is an additional $80 per 10,000 words, and member must have a complete first draft.)
NOTE: All classes must be completed within three years for students to receive a certificate.
Marni Freedman is a produced, published and award winning writer. After graduating as an award winning student from the USC School of Filmic Writing, Marni began her career with her play, “Two Goldsteins on Acid,” which was produced in Los Angeles. She worked as a script doctor for Fox Searchlight, Disney, and other film companies and worked as a script agent for the Mary Sue Seymour Agency. One of her plays was made into a film, “Playing Mona Lisa,” and was produced by Disney. She has published articles in several magazines and online sites, worked as a ghost writer for a “how to” book series and is currently in demand as a book editor and script doctor. Currently, around San Diego, you can find Marni teaching writing workshops at San Diego Writers Ink, UCSD Extension, The San Diego Library and running the popular San Diego Screenwriter’s group, The Writer’s Circle. Her new book, 7 Essential Writing Tools will be available in February of 2016.