Colleen Lanin teaches Blogging 101
Blogging 101: How and Why to Create a Successful Blog
We brought this exciting and popular class back! And this time we are offering an extra week!
Blogging is a young art form but is rapidly growing in popularity and gaining respect from traditional publishers, the PR world, and the general public. Many print journalists and authors now have their own blogs. In fact, a blog is practically a prerequisite for new writers seeking to enter the publishing world. Some blog as a hobby, others as a platform for print media and books, while others blog to earn income or other perks. Plus, there is something addictively satisfying about knowing your work will be published, when you want, how you want! This five-week course is for both novice and experienced writers interested in blogging, but who want some help getting started.
This class will cover:
- Choosing the right niche, name, and theme for your blog
- Overview of technical aspects/options for a blog
- Blending the art of writing with search engine optimization
- Editing and inserting photos for blog posts
- How to get people to read your blog
- Making money, platform-building, free stuff, and other blogging perks
- How to use social media to increase your blog’s success
- The community aspect of blogging: networking, tweet-ups, conferences, and PR events
By the end of this class, participants will have created a WordPress blog and written three blog posts, with photos, links, and key words.
It is helpful if students can bring a laptop computer to class, but this is not required.
**Please note: this class starts at 6:30 pm and goes until 9 pm.
Colleen Lanin is a freelance writer and creator/editor of www.TravelMamas.com, which ranks among the top 100 travel blogs in the world and receives over 22,000 page views per month. Colleen is a video blogger for Barilla’s Piccolini.tv and the former editor of the Tree.com Travel blog (by Lending Tree). Her articles have appeared in such publications as Babytalk Magazine, San Diego Family Magazine, New Parent online magazine, and 101 Things To Do San Diego.