NaNoWriMo: Keeping Your Focus Tips by Allie Frazier
Hey guys! It is the end of week 2, so today I’m going to talk to you about making sure you stay focused!
With such a large undertaking as 50,000 words in such a short period of time, it can be difficult to keep a story going without finding yourself trailing off and away from your plot. Some of these detours can be helpful, but too many will just distract you from your ultimate goal: a novel.
One way to keep yourself focused is to make an outline of what you want to do. This is not a set plan in which you give all the details–you want to make sure that you have the room to change some things up–but if you give yourself a roadmap, you’ll have a better idea of whether or not you are following the same direction as before.
Some helpful questions to ask yourself when making your outlines are
- What genre is your story? The tone?
- Where is the story set?
- What are the rules in your world?
- Who is/are the main character(s)
- What is his/her/their goal?
- What is keeping him/her from reaching the goal?
- What pushes the character to go forward after difficulties begin?
- What do you want reader takeaway to be?
- In the end, who succeeds? Why? How?