Readings & Special Events
Whether we’re scheduling the publication party for a local author’s new book, chartering a bus to take us to the LA Times Festival of Books, or celebrating the seasons, Inksters know how to make an event special. We believe in collaboration and look for creative ways to partner with other organizations to present unique and stimulating programs for the larger community. The Ink Spot offers a warm and welcoming spot for readings, large and small, and we also hold readings at other venues – the Poetry Bench in Balboa Park, on the stage at Lestat’s, and Rebecca’s in South Park to name a few.
Readings and Special Events:
JOIN US! (Click on the links below to keep reading about the event)
- 01/11 Writers Read Book Group: Defending Jacob Writers Read Book Group SDWI is pleased to bring writers and readers together to discuss selected books every four to six weeks on a Sunday afternoon. Our next selection is Defending Jacob by William Landay. When: Sunday, January 11, 2015 from 3-5pm Where: The New Ink Spot at NTC at Liberty Station, 2730 Historic Decatur Rd., Barracks 16, Suite ...
- 01/12 Writers Networking at the Pearl Hotel Put down your pen and raise your glass! Come find the SDWI sign and indulge in happy hour food and cocktail options, and network with other writers in this fun, casual setting. 1st Monday of the month, 5:30-7:30pm SDWI Writers Meet-up at the Pearl Hotel The Pearl Hotel, 1410 Rosecrans St Free. Buy your own food and drinks.
- 01/16 Reading with Howard Pflanzer, Sandra Doller, and Other Poets Join us for a night of poetry! Howard Pflanzer will read from “Dead Birds or Avian Blues.” Howard Pflanzer is a poet and playwright. He has performed his edgy short poetic plays and poetry, Dead Birds or Avian Blues, (published by Fly By Night Press in 2011) at KGB, The Living Theatre, Theaterlab, A Gathering of the ...
- 01/25 Open Mic Poetry Reading Come share some poetry. We will have poems about the current art show “The Four Seasons” but we also welcome your poetry at our open mic.
- 02/15 Poolhouse Project Staged Reading Reader’s Theatre of local playwright’s work by the Poolhouse Project, a troupe of actors directed by SDWI’s Executive Director Kristen Fogle.
- 04/14 A Year In Ink (Vol 8) Anthology Release Party at Old Town Theatre April 14, 7pm: Year in Ink Volume 8 Release Party. Readings from the latest anthology. A celebration of San Diego writers. Don’t miss out. Cygnet Theatre in Old Town. $5 suggested donation or bring a bottle of wine. It is sure to be an exciting evening! (Doors Open 6:30pm) San Diego Writers Ink shines a spotlight ...
- 05/17 Poolhouse Project Staged Reading Reader’s Theatre of local playwright’s work by the Poolhouse Project, a troupe of actors directed by SDWI’s Executive Director Kristen Fogle.
- 06/28 Community Meeting 4:30-6pm: Come celebrate San Diego Writers, Ink. We’ll be celebrating San Diego writers and our role in the community. Two year anniversary for our new location! SDWI’s Annual Community and Membership meeting is an opportunity to come together in a warm and welcoming gathering to celebrate writing and writers. Join our board members and SDWI staff to ...
- 08/16 Poolhouse Project Staged Reading Reader’s Theatre of local playwright’s work by the Poolhouse Project, a troupe of actors directed by SDWI’s Executive Director Kristen Fogle.
- 09/11-09/13 Fall for Writing 2015 Friday, Sept 11, 6-7:30pm: Celebrate our annual event ($5 suggested donation). Join us for a weekend of workshops and special events this fall! More info to come! Sessions on Saturday and Sunday. Click here for last year’s schedule of Fall for Writing’s classes and events
Ongoing Open Mics
- DimeStories Open Mic — First Friday of every month
- Poetic Brew Open Mic Poetry Reading — Third Tuesday of every month at Rebecca’s in South Park. Bring three poems for the open mic or just listen with host Eber Lambert.