04/06 Structure for Memoir with Marni Freedman
Tired of trying to organize your memoir? Marni’s memoir workshop is for you!
Are you writing a memoir? Are you wondering which stories to select and which stories to eliminate to create the most compelling memoir possible? If so, this workshop is for you. In this fun, hands-on, one day workshop Marni will help you to learn:
- The 9 Structural elements that can help organize and shape your memoir
- How to sculpt a page-turning story from your real life experiences the way an artist sculpts from clay
- How to identify your memoir’s theme, key conflict and shape the character arc
- How, when and where to cut the excess
- How to organize your true-life experiences so that the audience is not only on your side but the tension grows and builds to a dramatic climax
- The biggest mistakes writers make in memoir writing and how to avoid them
- All about the current memoir market and how to write with the end goal in mind!
Marni Freedman is a produced, published and award winning writer. After graduating as an award winning student from the USC School of Filmic Writing, Marni began her career with her play, “Two Goldsteins on Acid,” which was produced in Los Angeles. She worked as a script doctor for Fox Searchlight, Disney, and other film companies and worked as a script agent for the Mary Sue Seymour Agency. One of her plays was made into a film, “Playing Mona Lisa,” and was produced by Disney. She has published articles in several magazines and online sites, worked as a ghost writer for a “how to” book series and is currently in demand as a book editor and script doctor. Currently, around San Diego, you can find Marni teaching writing workshops at San Diego Writers Ink, UCSD Extension and running the popular San Diego Screenwriter’s group, The Writer’s Circle.
PLEASE NOTE: It is best to register early to help our instructors prepare and ensure the class does not get cancelled or shifted to another date and time. We evaluate registration numbers between 7 and 3 days before a class start to decide about whether to keep or reschedule it. By registering 7 days or more in advance, you help us help our participants and instructors in many ways.